The Alaska State Library has changed ebook providers. We are now subscribing to EBSCO's academic collection of ebooks.
Recent articles from Consumer Reports.
Once you've completed your preliminary download steps, you're ready to download.
1. Access ebrary using your work computer (or through the Alaska State Library's proxy server, using the user name and password we issued to you), and sign in to your ebrary account.
2. Search for and select your book
3. Click the “download” button.
4. Choose to download either the entire book or a pdf with 60 pages or less.
5. If you download a pdf (available only for 60 pages or less), transfer it to the device you want to use to read it.
6. If you are downloading the entire book to a computer with Adobe Digital Editions installed, you will be asked whether you want to save or open the document. If you select open, Adobe Digital Editions will open and you can see the download process, and a file with the entire book will be added to the “My Documents/My Digital Editions” folder on the computer.
7. If you are downloading the entire book to a computer without Adobe Digital Editions, you will be prompted to save the file to a location of your choosing. Choose a location you’ll remember. The downloaded file will be in ascm format. It will not contain the entire book, but you can then transfer that file to a computer with Adobe Digital Editions, and open it on that computer. The ascm file is small and you can easily email it.
8. If you want to read the book on an ereader (other than the Kindle), after downloading or transferring the file to a computer with Adobe Digital Editions, connect the ereader to that computer. Adobe Digital Editions will probably detect and ask you to authorize the device. After that, the ereader should appear as a separate bookshelf in Adobe Digital Editions. Simply drag the book to that bookshelf.
9. If you want to read the book on a tablet or smartphone, you can (a) download it to your device if you have accessed ebrary through the Alaska State Library's proxy server using the user name and password we issued to you, or (b) transfer a file containing the entire book to your device using a flash drive or a cable to transfer the file. For iPads and other iOS devices, you can use iTunes. You can also set up a free DropBox account and upload the file to it, then download it to your device. In order to open the book you will need to have installed the appropriate app on that device and authorized it with your Adobe ID. See "Preliminary Steps" for more information about apps. Click on the file to open it with an active Internet connection. You will probably be asked to enter your Adobe ID and password, and if you are using the ebrary app, your ebrary ID and password.
PO Box 110571
Juneau AK 99811-0571
395 Whittier Street
Juneau AK 99801