Skip to main content

Canol Pipeline, archival collections

Canol Pipeline photographs

Canol Pipeline construction.

From: Charles W. Arvidson photographs, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage. [VILDA website]

Canol Pipeline structure.

From: William L. Matthews papers, Alaska Historical Society collections, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage [VILDA website]

Lapie Lake.

From: Charles W. Arvidson photographs, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage.

Office, first aid, and radio house camp 177.

From: Charles W. Arvidson photographs, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage.

Canol Pipeline

The Canol Pipeline was built during World War II and ran from the Norman Wells oil fields in the Northwest Territories, Canada to Whitehorse, Yukon on the Alaska Highway. The Canol Road and a telegraph line running north of Johnson’s Crossing were also constructed at this time to service the oil pipeline. The Whitehorse refinery and the pipeline were shut down in 1945.

This is a multi-institutional annotated bibliography of collections, which are housed in repositories in Alaska, Canada, and within the National Archives, that relate to the Canol Pipeline. This list may not be comprehensive, therefore it is recommended to contact each institution individually regarding materials they may have on the Canol Pipeline. If you are with a repository that holds publicly accessible collections related to the Canol Pipeline that are not reflected in this list, please contact us at uaa_archives@alaska.edu. This guide was created with funding provided by the Elizabeth Tower Endowment for Canadian Studies.