As both a librarian and a parent, I am passionate about helping Alaska's children to prepare for kindergarten and to become successful readers and learners.
In my work with Library Development, I help librarians and caregivers support the children in their community by providing advice and training on library storytimes and other early childhood programs and maintaining early literacy play spaces.
I also encourage families to sign up for Alaska's 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program and borrow free reading kits to share with their child through Ready to Read Alaska.
What I Do
- For librarians:
- Provide early literacy guidance and advice to improve library storytimes and other early childhood programming.
- Consult on the layout and components of library playspaces (including books, manipulatives, and furniture).
- Offer one-on-one and group early literacy training opportunities to staff in Alaska libraries.
- Promote national early literacy resources to libraries.
- For parents and caregivers:
- Provide free training to parents and caregivers (informal and formal) about building their child's early literacy skills.
- Loan free reading kits to parents, caregivers, and organizations that serve infants, toddlers, and preschoolers such as child care providers, health clinics, etc.