The Division of Libraries, Archives and Museums:
Congress passed an act establishing the Alaska Historical Library and Museum for the District of Alaska on June 6, 1900. The purpose of the Museum and Historical Library was to collect, preserve and provide access to objects, laws, and papers from the Territory. The Legislature established the Alaska State Library in 1955 to provide reference library service to Territorial and other public officials and to cooperate with other libraries to increase effectiveness and reduce duplication. The Legislature established the Alaska State Archives in 1970, which opened its doors to the public in 1972. The Sheldon Jackson Museum, founded in 1888 to house an exceptional collection of Alaska Native ethnographic material gathered by Presbyterian missionary Rev. Dr. Sheldon Jackson, was purchased by the State of Alaska in 1985.
PO Box 110571
Juneau AK 99811-0571
395 Whittier Street
Juneau AK 99801