Duties and responsibilities of the Library Director
- Recruit, hire and annually evaluate library staff based upon well-defined job descriptions and expectations. Suggest improvements needed in salaries, working conditions and personnel policy.
- Carry out the policies of the library as adopted by the board. Recommend policies to library board.
- Suggest and carry out plans for library services. Manage day-to-day operation of library. Design library services to meet community needs/interests. Report library's progress and future needs to the board.
- Prepare and submit to library board a budget request based on present and anticipated needs. Maintain complete and accurate records of finances. Expend funds based on approved budget.
- Advocate for library through contacts with general public, civic organizations and public officials. Attend city council and/or borough meetings. Work to secure adequate funds to carry out the library's services.
- Be familiar with library ordinance and keep board informed on laws affecting library.
- Participate in continuing education activities and professional organizations; encourage continuing education for library staff. Participate in orientation of new trustees.
- Communicate with the library board.
- Select and order all books and other library materials and resources.
- Attend board meetings; prepared written progress report; provide information as needed/requested by board.
- Assist in developing qualifications for new trustees.
COSLA Public Library Trustee Manual, pg. 47